The RELX Environmental Challenge is open to individuals or organisations operating in the not-for-profit and for-profit sectors.
Each year the RELX Environmental Challenge is awarded to projects that best demonstrate how they can provide sustainable access to safe water or sanitation.
Projects must advance sustainable access to safe water where it is presently at risk and/or access to improved sanitation, and include the following criteria:
- Be replicable, scalable and sustainable. and set a benchmark for innovation
- Have practical applicability
- Address non-discrimination/equity of access
- Involve and impact a range of stakeholders
- Have local/community-level engagement
These are the criteria against which projects will be assessed. Early stage projects are preferred.
- There is a $50,000 prize for the first place entry and a $25,000 prize for the second place entry. The winners also receive free access for one year to Science Direct, Scientific, Technical & Medical business’ database of full text, scientific information, including almost 250,000 articles since 2000 in Environmental Sciences.
- Projects must have clear practical applicability, address identified need and advance related issues such as health, education, or human rights.
- The Challenge is open only to applicants 21 years of age or over at their time of entry. Proof of residency and age may be required.
- Applicants may participate as (i) individuals, (ii) teams of individuals, or (iii) individually or in teams on behalf of an organisation, i.e. an educational or not-for-profit institution or a corporation (the latter category, collectively “Organisations”).
- Submission of an application with a proposal (the “Application”) on behalf of a group of individuals or an Organisation shall constitute a representation by the individual submitting the Application that he/she is authorised to represent the team to submit the Application and distribute any prize money.
- Directors, officers and employees (and their immediate families and household members) of RELX Group plc (the “Sponsor”) and its affiliates (collectively, with Sponsor, “RELX”) and their respective advertising and promotion agencies are not eligible to enter the Challenge.
- The Challenge is subject to applicable laws of an applicant’s jurisdiction. The Sponsor is not responsible for any other eligibility prohibitions, including, without limitation, any established by applicant’s employer; applicants are encouraged to seek information on any such restrictions prior to submission of an Application
- Applications will be assessed against the Challenge criteria, which are as follows: They must advance access to safe and sustainable water supply where it is presently at risk and/or access to improved sanitation. They must set a benchmark for innovation and demonstrate:
- Replicability, scalability and sustainability
- Practical applicability
- Non-discrimination/equity of access
- Involvement of, and impacts on, a range of stakeholders
- Local/community-level engagement
- Applications will be reviewed against the Challenge criteria by the Challenge advisory group comprised of external water and sustainability specialists and/ or relevant internal colleagues. The advisory group will reduce the Applications to a shortlist of semi-finalists which will then be reviewed by an expert panel of external and internal judges.
- The shortlist will be announced in or after September 2020. Shortlisted candidates will be given the opportunity to further develop their proposals and make presentations to the panel of judges. Winners will be announced by November 2020.
For more information, visit https://www.relx.com/corporate-responsibility/engaging-others/relx-group-environmental-challenge#contact